Qualified adopters must meet standard requirements for owning and caring for a wild horse and burro, including specific facility parameters and shelters to ensure the safety and health of the animals. In general, when adopting or purchasing an animal at an internet event, prospective adopters or purchasers should follow the steps outlined below.
- Apply: Create an Online Corral Profile, complete an application, and submit on-line.
- Bid: Once the BLM approves your application, you are eligible to adopt or purchase your very own wild horse or burro. You may bid on the number of animals you are approved to adopt or purchase. The individual animal page from the gallery will display purchase methods and the current bid information. You can increase the current bid from $5 to $250 with each new bid. You may raise your own bid at any time. Proxy bidding allows the system to bid for you. Proxy bidding will automatically raise your bid (by $5) up to your maximum, every time your high bid is challenged. Bidders can raise their maximum bid throughout the bidding process.
- Finalize: Submit payment, select your preferred pick-up option and finalize all Private Care and Maintenance Agreements or Bills of Sales within 5 business days.
- Pick up: Pick up of your newly adopted or purchased wild horse or burro directly from the off-range corral or a satellite event. Bring a valid photo identification card, such as a driver's license to the event. You do NOT have to accept the animal if the animal does not meet your expectations. There is no penalty for not taking the animal. If you decline the animal in person, you may request a credit towards a future adoption. The BLM will load your animal into an approved trailer, please bring a halter if you wish to have your animal haltered prior to bringing them home.
- Bring Home your Wild Horses and Burros: Unload your animal directly into your corral and shelter. Give your horse or burro time to adjust and become accustomed to their new surroundings. Call 1-800-370-3936 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or for assistance.
Download the Comprehensive User Guide